Thursday, February 23, 2017

On goals and fulfilling them

Each of us has goals to achieve. It could be good grades at school, a job that we want, or a huge fortune. Do you still remember the last time you set a goal, and finally achieved it?  Do you remember the feeling of fulfilling your visions? Close your eyes and think about it! We've been working hard in life, but when was the last time that we did things that we are fond of? Maybe, we are currently in the journey towards our dreams, although sometimes it might feel like we’re off track, or lost in the crossroads of choices and regrets. Perhaps, we got doubted with our choice when we felt it was the right thing.

I have had many goals in my life, and planning before a new year begins have been my personal tradition. When I was 15, I didn't have a huge passion for studying. I played online games round-the-clock while my schoolmates studied hard for their high school entrance examination. However, I realized that I didn't like to study general subjects, so I needed to find out what my real interests are. Honestly, I participated in many hands-on classes during my last year in junior high school (the government provides hands-on classes to figure out what hobbies students are interested in, especially to those who plan to study in vocational high schools). I took classes in every different field: hairdressing, electronics engineering, computer science, word processing, catering, car repairing, performing arts, among others.  Guess what? My dream was to become a hair stylist when I was 15, but I finally chose computer science as my major in my final school year because my parents denied it. Recently, I was thinking that maybe, I would become another Timothy if I finally chose the road of hair styling. Later on, however, I ultimately realized it was just a temporary interest for me. I am not a person who easily gives up on things I choose, but then things, so do people, change.

You might be surprised why I am studying applied foreign languages and travel management. As a former computer science student, I must admit that I am not good at math and I don't have a genius brain to learn computer languages. (Trust me! It's really hard, unless you have a golden brain.) 

In the past, I wasn't able to speak and write in English. I had a very terrible grammar, even if it had been my favorite subject when I was a kid. Few years ago, there was an idea that appeared in my mind that I decided to be fluent in English. Therefore, I began to adopt many ways possible to be able to perfect the language, but I didn't see any improvement. One day, I watched a YouTube video that talked about how Taiwanese people learn English. Suddenly, I just figured out I had been using wrong methods in learning the language. I even remember that I messaged the woman who made the video via email to ask her how I could better my English. 

She showed me the site "Lang-8" which I had been used to write entries since October 2016. I have published 756 entries since.

(These are my first entry's corrections on Lang-8.)

I think I will improve a lot by practicing day by day for 4 years, and that's why I changed my major in college. Apart from this, I also love traveling (I will talk about it in my next article!). Now, what I want to say is that, our dreams and goals may change over and over again, but never stop dreaming and pursuing your goals! If you encounter challenges, overcome them and find the right methods. Good luck and always follow your heart! 

Best wishes,


- Timothinks 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hugest Power in the World #2 How to Change?

In my previous post, I mentioned a great YouTuber that I found out recently. He always shares his positive thinking to all his fans. That&#...